Home Energy Raters
New Construction Homes
New construction homes are evaluated from plans and a series of on-site inspections. The costs of making the energy improvements can be added to the mortgage loan through an energy improvement mortgage, qualifying homeowners for greater debt-to-income spread, allowing a larger mortgage and a higher quality, energy efficient and comfortable home.
Energy Star® Homes
An ENERGY STAR Star Home is a home built at least
30% more efficient than the current Model
Energy Code (MEC). You choose what features
will work best for your building process --
experience shows that Energy Star Homes can
be built by following simple, tried-and-true
energy-efficient building practices.
Energy Star Mortgages are available from select lenders that include cash back at closing, higher qualifying ratios, assured appraised values, free interest lock and competitive interest rates. Builders or contractors can become ENERGY STAR Partners by signing a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) -- call 888-STAR-YES or visit EPA ENERGY STAR Homes Program.
Find a Home Energy Rater
- BPCA Home Energy Raters
- Northeast Home Energy Ratings System Alliance Raters
- RESNET National Certified Rater Directory
BPCA at this time is unaware of any lending institution offering Energy Efficient Mortgages in New York State.
All buyers or owners who can qualify for any FHA or VA home loans are automatically eligible for the FHA or VA Energy Efficient Mortgage Option. In almost all cases there is no additional down payment and the installed energy improvements will produce a first year Positive-Cash-Flow.
- Determine the energy efficiency of the home with a Home Energy Rating.
- The rater will identify the total cost-effective savings, income tax savings, net profits, the investment required and the return-on-investment.
- Decide what to do - many raters will help prepare the paperwork to be delivered to the lender.
- Have the cost-effective energy improvements installed and inspected.
BPCA HERS Committee Members
Integrity Home Energy Assessments
Robison Energy, LLC
Northern Comfort Diagnostics
BPCA NYS - HERS QA Designee